the recursor home : about : rss : spamgourmet : otherdog studio
animals : anything : elsewhere : food : homeautomation : music : reading : restaurants : tech
not posting enough 2017-10-10 12:35 UTC
I think I figured out why I slowed down so precipitously on my blog posts. It's not because I moved over to social media like I thought I would - I'm not posting there, either (actually, the thought of posting on social media makes me feel apprehensive these days).

Nope - the reason is that there are no physical thumb keyboards on any smartphones that I would want to have anymore. I can type 80 wpm on a real keyboard when I'm good shape, and I can handle the tiny thumb keyboards very well, but I'm close to hopeless with the onscreen touch keyboards.

In 2004, when I started this blog, I was using a Treo smarphone with a keyboard - I did some hacked extensions to to bloxsom (the blog software I'm still using) so that I could easily posts pictures and some accompanying text from my phone. It was so easy that I did it very frequently. Once the Treo went the way of the pterodactyl, I hung in there for a while with Android based phones that had slide-out keyboards, but those fell out of fashion as well, and here I am, typing on a macbook :(
discuss (0) permanent link

google plus 2011-07-12 01:48 UTC
I'm having a great time at google+ - It's so impressive that I, um, I'm not going to post here any more, but instead start posting there.

Here's my profile page

and a shortcut url:
discuss (0) permanent link

compiling for android 2011-05-24 15:44 UTC
I'm getting closer to being able to compile linux programs to run on my G1 - I'm currently following these instructions - hopefully I'll be building roguelikes soon.
discuss (1) permanent link

android vulnerability 2011-05-19 15:01 UTC
A friend let me know about this gizmodo article about a vulnerability of many versions of android that involves the potential of a bad guy sniffing the auth tokens from certain google apps, which are sent over clear text.

In response, I updated my G1 to use gingerbread - 2.3.4 ez. I sadly had to part ways with cyanogenmod, who has understandably abandoned the ancient G1 platform. I found a ROM on the xda-developers forum (sorry, don't have the URL) and had to completely wipe my existing image (including all my detail work around moving app data to the SD card) and start over, but it hasn't taken long to recover most of the way. Significantly, I downloaded a boot script to mount /sd-ext to a linux partition on the SD card at boot time - this script was there in my 6.1 cyanogenmod install, but for some reason didn't work. Now it works!! This makes life a *lot* easier, in that I can symlink to the /sd-ext partition once, instead of having to prep for each reboot and restore afterward - meaning that much of the script work I had to wipe out with the upgrade is no longer required.

I have yet to see how 2.3 will perform from day to day, but so far it doesn't look too bad.
discuss (0) permanent link

new life for my g1 2011-04-30 14:19 UTC
My phone, still a t-mobile G1, is pretty much an antique at this point - I believe it was the first android phone. I installed a corporate email app for work and ran out of space - wound up having to delete a bunch of apps and even then periodically reset the app as it filled up my phone's memory with email. The performance of the phone was dismal - I'd often find myself waiting for 10 seconds or more to see a response to a button push or screen tap.

I rooted the phone a while back, and this added a bunch of functionality, but didn't in itself solve the problem. I was aware of several scripts in distribution to make the phone store more of its internal data on a SD card (I've got a 16 gig SD card in mine), but the age of the G1 hurts here, too, as the maintainers of the scripts have moved on to newer and better phones.

Finally, I took matters into my own hands, and, at the prompting of Tim, created a couple of new partitions on the card - one linux file system type (at first formatted to ext4) and one linux swap. I started with really big partitions, but the phone wouldn't recognize the card - I wound up with a 512 meg linux partition (ultimately formatted to ext2) and a smaller swap.

Although the phone was already using the SD card for certain apps, I found that I could manually mount the ext2 partition and move additional stuff there using symlinks. I have been unable to mount the ext2 partition automatically at boot time (even though I see an init.d script that appears to be written to find and mount it automatically - not sure what's going on there), so I just wrote some scripts I run at runtime to set things up properly, and it's worky, but it's OK.

After freeing up about 15 megs of space this way, wow, the phone is really responsive and zippy again, and I'm even able to put back on some apps I had removed, like a gmail upgrade and DocumentsToGo.

Also, an app in the market showed up that lets me view my home security cameras from the phone - finally! The supports linux motion, which I'm using, which makes set-up a lot easier - otherwise, I think it would probably support all the cameras I have individually, but I'd have to punch each of those through reverse NAT, and I think security would suffer - most or all wouldn't provide SSL support.

Anyway, long live my G1!!!
discuss (1) permanent link

previous 5 entries

Creative Commons License
original works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.